A Message on International Women’s Day from MSRIMarch 8, 2018
Award winner wants equal education rights for 40,000 refugee childrenJune 20, 2018
The Senior Counsellor is an empathetic, dedicated confidant who understands the environment of MSRI and encourages empowerment individuals. S/he is a self-propelling professional who knows how to establish relationships and trust with clients. S/he is a calm and patient individual with experience in dealing with crisis situations, and implementing intervention programmes. The Senior Counsellor has a good listening ear, accepting without bias the issues raised by clients, whilst ensuring that confidentiality and reporting standards are met. We are looking for someone who:
- Is Malaysian
- Is highly fluent in both English and Malaysian languages (written and spoken)
- Is capable of communicating and engaging effectively with people of various backgrounds
- Is honest and transparent
- Has the drive to deal with a demanding workload and hectic schedules; and to deliver results
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Manage and oversee the operations of MSRI Mental Health Department.
- Provide timely and complete mental health monthly statistic data for UNHCR.
- Maintain and improve good relationship and communication with HEI or ICMC to serve clients efficiently and effectively.
- Conduct interviews and supervise trainee counsellors.
- Organise necessary internal meeting for certain cases.
- Provide counselling services for individuals, couple, group, families, and children.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of accepted treatment practices along with the ability to implement and evaluate the effectiveness of treatment plans and recommend alternate strategies as necessary.
- Provide the Mental Health Status Examination upon request.
- Follow up in regards to cases related to mental health.
- Assist in crisis situations as appropriate, following emergency protocols/procedures. Coordinate with the treatment team with interventions that support a trauma-informed environment for residents and staff.
- Provide input on all relevant documentation and procedural requirements.
- Coordinate with team members and support staff regarding client concerns, building/programme needs, and any issues relevant to ensure the smooth operation of the programme.
- Adhere to generally accepted treatment standards, departmental rules, organisation’s policies and terms and conditions of contracts or grants.
- Counsellors and trainee counsellors
- Masters in Counselling or Clinical Psychology or equivalent
- Licensed and certified counsellor
- Excellent English and communication skills
- Flexibility to respond to user needs
- Excellent in teamwork
- Attention to detail
- Keen to learn new skills
- Fluency in Arabic or Farsi language is another advantage
- At least 3 years of working experience in the related field
- Experience in leading and team management
- Experience in child, family and marriage counselling
- Experience in refugee work will be an advantage
- Basic knowledge of Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Google Mail